saw stop in routers and jointers?

I would think it's possible for full sized jointers with a modification to allow blade retraction, but not sure that routers will ever have enough mass to absorb the energy of stopping the motor that quickly. You'd change a cut for a broken wrist when all that rotational force is transferred to the body of the router.

I don't think the bandsaw blade would disappear like the tablesaw's does, just stop in a millisecond. Maybe have a clamp that closes on it at the top and bottom wheel to keep that section of blade from moving. Again, you'd probably still get cut but not as bad as if the blade were still moving.

Router would be a lot tougher, it'd be heavy as all get out and really probably be tough to use. I could see a shaper using it though. It'd just have a spring loaded mechanism to drop the blade below the table top and a shaft block of some kind...

I think a jointer would be the easiest to setup with a sawstop type mechanism. It's not all that dissimilar to the way a tablesaw works except they'd have to make a way for the cutter head to move. Most (all??) jointers the tables move not the blade. They'd need to make a mechanism that would also make sure the alignment to the tabletops would always be right back to 0 when it is reset otherwise every time it is triggered, you'd need to re-setup your jointer and that could be hours of work...

I would expect the cost to be astronomical for the first few years though, even more so then the SawStop tablesaw is now since really, the tablesaw wasn't changed all that much, just beefed up in certain areas to handle the brake. For the other tools we'd be looking at a complete redesign to make the mechanism work...

Just some observations...

-Jim

well for the router there could be some sort of release mechanism that lets the motor keep spinning but detaches it from the collet/arbour so there's no power behind the blade andmaybe a brake on it then, once again a small cut but might save a finger, a small nick wouldn't be a bad idea with them anyway... i've a feeling if you have a saw stop saw you might get a bit too comfortable around it and forget about safety a bit. and then heaven forbid you use a machine that doesnt have it....