Wood Movement - Is This Table Doomed?

rmac

This beautiful table appeared on the LumberJocks site just a little while ago. The writeup says that the top is made of solid beetle-kill pine, 2-1/2" thick.

This looks like a disaster waiting to happen when the boards in the middle shrink while the three running perpendicular to them don't. Is there any way around this problem (other than a redesign)? Is this table doomed to self destruct?

-- Russ

post-685-0-71236400-1326837711_thumb.jpg

If it's solid wood, its doomed to at least have gaps between the boards. I did this when I was first getting started in woodworking - the piece is still awesome and works great (dining room table) - but does have gaps as large as 1/16" in some places.

That would be an integral crumb tray, Morton...

I built my first project like that, at the time I didn't really know anything about this stuff. It was a jewelry box with a piece of curly maple in the center of the top with peruvian walnut and maple wrapping around it with miter joints, no splines, no biscuits, just miters. My sister didn't want me to take it back to fix it but I just couldn't leave it like that. Its still sitting in my house and I haven't gotten around to design or build a new one.

Update: This morning the builder of the table posted this on LumberJocks:

In Colorado there is no such thing as humidity, so expansion is not an issue. If I lived somewhere else, or was sending the table to another state, I would make the top completely different. I have used this miter method on other tables and haven’t had any problems. But you do have a good point, in areas where the humidity fluctuates it could expand and pop the joints.

I guess the key is to live in a place with no humidity. I didn't know that Colorado qualified.

-- Russ