Butt hinge

I recently built a new entertainment center and last night I finally had time to mortise the doors and face frame to install the hinges. I got the doors on and all of the reveals around the doors are even and line up great! My only issue is that neither door shuts fully. I can fix this by installing a double barrel catch but I'm curious as to why they don't want to shut fully. If you push the doors shut they just spring back open about 1/2 an inch. I have a feeling it has something to do with where I located the center of the barrel in regards to the front edges of the face frame and stile. Anyone ever have this issue and is it to late to fix on this project due to the fact that I already have my holes drilled.

Sounds like the edge of the door is hitting the frame. Test it by closing the door with a piece of paper between the door edge and frame. With the door fully closed, the paper should be loose. If not, that is where the door is binding.

This is typically caused by the hinges being set below the surface (mortise too deep) or by the door or frame being bowed.

It appears that my mortises are a little bit deep. I will attempt to shim them when i put them on for final installation. The lighting was very crappy when i was trying to take some close ups of the hinges and it made it look like crap. Here is a picture of the entire prodject (doors still need to be painted and pulls attached) a little bit more appealing!

post-6003-0-69958600-1327458262_thumb.jp