Benchtop

bdemore

Hello All,

I'm a Southern California native currently living in Brussels, Belgium. I'm a new woodworker still slowly collecting tools, experience, and books while making the all too common mistakes that help us learn. I'll be in Belgium for another couple of years which is great, however living here does present some serious woodworking challenges. Power (120v versus 240v) differences are chief among them. Secondly, getting hard wood over here is nearly impossible. Everything seems to be made of plywood, fiberboard, laminate or a combination of the three. My bench....a 4x4 base created by laminating 2x4's together is solid and capable. My top is a disaster. It was built as my first project and while the base is quite functional, the top needs replacing. I've decided to laminate 2-3 Ikea Numerar countertops together (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50086416/). I don't have enough clamps nor do I have the tools necessary to build a caul presently so I was thinking of gluing and screwing. After 24 hours or so, I'd remove the screws so that they won't interfere with the dog holes that I'll eventually drill or the vise mounting hardware. I also have a Festool Domino System and was considering joining the layers with it. I guess clamping would still be required with that option?? If I glue and screw, does anyone have advice on how many screw points would be necessary and approximate location. Thanks in advance to any and all who give advice and recommendations on my proposed workbench plan. If I get this done, my next question will be on dog hole placement. :)

Hello bdemore, first welcome to the forum.And second I think that you need to figure out were the dog holes are going to be, and also any type of vise is going to be located.Then you plan the screws to go around them.What I would do is plan that and then if using two screw from the bottom every 6-8 inches around perimeter and also any dog holes and vises and every 12inch in the field.If useing 3 screw through bottom two into top slightly of set from first screws and I see no need to remove them.Hope this helps and I have explaned it good enough(its hard for me sometimes and I always over build)good luck and let us know how it turned out.