Traveling with hand tools

Hey guys!

I'm getting ready for my first trip to Woodworking in America and trying to figure out what all I should take as well as how to take it.

In the past, I've just thrown my planes and associated tools into a large plastic tub to drag them to wherever I'm heading. This time, I feel like I should have something a little nicer than a tub. As much as I'd love to build a beautiful toolbox, I know that I'm running short on time.

So, here's the question:

How do you transport your tools? Pictures would be great if you have them.

Jay,

Currently I am still on the plastic tote and tub stage. So I will be interested in the responses.

I recently took a class with Chris Schwarz and he was toting some of his tools around in the Packing Box he made for the Joiner and Cabinetmaker book. It made a nice tool tote for a lot of the smaller items including smoothing planes and braces and bits.

I have a tool bag that came with one of those cordless tool combo sets that holds a lot of tools. I wrap the planes in a tshirt and I have a leather chisel roll. For my block plane I still have the LN box is came in so I put it in there. Everything else is just wrapped up in shirts and socks and stuck in the bag. Regarding WIA, I have taken tools each time and have never once used them. I know this year is a little different but for all the hands on stuff, they have had plenty of tools on hand to use so I never broke out my own. Food for thought.

My son gave one of those big mouth gator bags for hand tools. I just wrap the planes and other sharpies in soft cloths for transport. The outside is loaded with small pockets as well as the liner inside. My chisels go inside, my screw drivers outside. My hammers, rulers and other misc. tools are transported in a Stanley plastic tool box. I like the gator bag over the tub, just looks better.(Had 2 blue tubs, they kind of got to be junk collectors)

I'm a shoulder bag kind of guy myself. I have a small one for short trips for things like chisels, block plane, measuring tools, etc. I have a larger bag for the bigger things, which is likely what i will bring to WIA. I should probably look at my schedule to see what the heck I selected for classes so I know what to bring.

I'm a shoulder bag kind of guy myself. I have a small one for short trips for things like chisels, block plane, measuring tools, etc. I have a larger bag for the bigger things, which is likely what i will bring to WIA. I should probably look at my schedule to see what the heck I selected for classes so I know what to bring.

How are you going to fit your tablesaw and drum sander in that shoulder bag!

If anyone is planning on flying in and bringing hand tools, make sure you read the TSA rules closely. When attending the 1st WIA I was starting to pack my tools up when I decided that I better look at the TSA site just to be sure. Glad I did! I was planning on removing all my blades and chip breakers from my planes and packing the bodies in my carry-on - uh, no. No tools longer than 7" are allowed which rules out even a #4. Also, any object that is heavy and could be used as a weapon is out. That rules out just about any plane body. I ended up packing all my planes in a suitcase and wrapping them all in clothes. Luckily it all came out un-scathed, but I don't think I'll be doing that again.

If anyone is planning on flying in and bringing hand tools, make sure you read the TSA rules closely. When attending the 1st WIA I was starting to pack my tools up when I decided that I better look at the TSA site just to be sure. Glad I did! I was planning on removing all my blades and chip breakers from my planes and packing the bodies in my carry-on - uh, no. No tools longer than 7" are allowed with rules out even and #4. Also, any object that is heavy and could be used as a weapon is out. That rules out just about any plane. I ended up packing all my planes in a suitcase and wrapping them all in clothes. Luckily it all came out un-scathed, but I don't think I'll be doing that again.

I am flying and was thinking of bringing some tools, but I'm going to leave them. There is going to be too much hassle. I can only imagine how much the airlines will charge for bringing some many heavy tools.

Jonathan

==============================

As in a "Man Purse?"

If you travel with them regularly Norm did a show on how to make a custom Studley tool chest. I'd think that would be the best solution if you have the time, skill and spare hardwood. Hardest part would be to determine what you will always need. Besides, if you walked in with something like that you instantly get your fellow craftsman's respect. :)

Just wondering why you were thinking about bringing your tools to WIA ? I attended last years show and didn't see that many people with their own tools . What personal tools I saw most of were dovetail saws and some old planes people wanted some advice about . Most of the hands on clinics had tools available , yes the more popular classes some tools had to be shared . With all the vendors there it's a good excuse to buy some new tools . ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering why you were thinking about bringing your tools to WIA ? I attended last years show and didn't see that many people with their own tools . What personal tools I saw most of were dovetail saws and some old planes people wanted some advice about . Most of the hands on clinics had tools available , yes the more popular classes some tools had to be shared . With all the vendors there it's a good excuse to buy some new tools . ;)

Jerry,

As this is my first trip to WIA, I was just going by what the individual session info suggested which was "Bring your own..." But after seeing several people say basically what you've said, I'm reconsidering.

Jerry,

As this is my first trip to WIA, I was just going by what the individual session info suggested which was "Bring your own..." But after seeing several people say basically what you've said, I'm reconsidering.

Jay

Last year they said the same thing. It's really your call on whether to take them or not . Maybe if you listed the classes your taking past attendes my give you some tips . If Roy Underhill is one I can tell you first hand he comes with chests full of tools to use .

I did buy some chisels in the "MarketPlace" and got a chance to use them in one of the hands on clinics . One thing I would recommend you bring is a note book to take notes . Your going to get information overload , write it down , don't do what I thought I could do and try to remember it all .

Good luck and have fun .

I did buy some chisels in the "MarketPlace" and got a chance to use them in one of the hands on clinics . One thing I would recommend you bring is a note book to take notes . Your going to get information overload , write it down , don't do what I thought I could do and try to remember it all .

That's an interesting point. Were you able to hone them somewhere or did you bring stones or paper (or scissors ;))?

How do you transport your tools?

Set of chisels, marking gauge, marking knife, coping saw, dozuki, mallet, jack plane, block plane, spokeshave, card scrapers, some sandpaper, bench hook, two smaller clamps, and a plastic bag with a cloth full of WD-40 in it.

I wrap my handtools into one or two bathtowels, put the bundle into a duffel bag, and cinch the bag tight so nothing shifts. The bag fits into the top box on my motorcycle, and off I go.