Traveling with hand tools

This is what Megan from pop woodworking had to say over on woodnet:

What Mike and Joe said.

Seriously, the answer will be different for everyone, depending on the classes you're taking, what you want to learn, etc. And I know no one wants to lug around a full kit all day. So, my recommendation is to review the classes you're planning to attend, and bring the relevant tool(s) with which you want the most help. E.g., if you're taking CS's "Honing Straight or Curved Irons," bring your scrub plane blade and a straight blade. If you're taking one of the saw sharpening sessions, bring the relevant saw (crosscut or rip). And if you're taking a SketchUp session, be sure to bring your laptop, with the latest version (8, I think) installed.

That said, if you're interested in "Setting Up Your Band Saw" well, I'd leave that particular tool at home and take pictures/notes

We will have a _few_ tools in each room for people to use during the hands-on sessions following each "formal" class (with the exception of Ron Herman's sessions - in which there will no doubt be many, many tools, which he'll be happy to share).

Hope that helps!

Megan

the thread is here if you want some context.

That's an interesting point. Were you able to hone them somewhere or did you bring stones or paper (or scissors ;))?

They were good for what I needed to do with them . However there were some vendors that had setup you could sharpen on . Lee Valley comes to mind , they had a few different sharpening setups working , I'm sure you try one out on your tools .

BTW The Market Place alone is worth the visit . I found myself missing classes because I was so consumed by what the vendors had to offer both in the way of products and knowledge .

• 11 months later...

<p>I know this post is about a year old, but can I play?</p>

<p>I designed a dual axle trailer and had a local guy fabricate it for me. After it was built, I took it to the auto electrician and we went about drilling out holes for the wiring, large enough holes to allow for rubber grommets to fit to ensure I didn't get any short circuits from general rubbing as the trailer was towed around the country. Next stage was off to the spray paint booth and then I put the signage together on photoshop. Ran it through a large format printer on adhesive vinyl and finally, back to the auto electrician to fit the lights and wiring harness.</p>

<p>The only down side to this toolbox is that when I go through an automatic toll booth on the motorways, I get charged extra because it is a dual axle machine. The good side to the dual axles is that I can disconnect from the vehicle towing and not worry about the trailer flipping backwards as used to happen with my single axle trailer if the load was unbalanced towards the rear.</p>

<p>So here are a few pics if you want to have a look at how I went about the tools transport question.</p>

<div>

</div>

• 4 months later...